Opening Weekend at Del Mar Racetrack came and went…fast. To be honest, it’s a bit of a blur to me. No, not because I had too many cocktails! The entire weekend is a whirlwind of horse, style and living! Early mornings oceanside, horse-filled sunny afternoons and socialization well after sunset. A few of my favorite things? Absolutely. The livin’ is easy down at Old Del Mar and I soaked up each minute.
Opening Day wouldn’t have been the same without these essential items that are great for the races, and beyond. I try my best to pack light when going to the track, especially on the first day of the season because the crowds are very large. Here’s what I carried:
Del Mar Racetrack Essentials, #CiaratogaStyle – Clockwise from L to R:
- Sunglasses – This is a no brainer. It’s bright at the track so be proactive and protect yourself from the rays while also looking stylish. I love the retro look of these shades, and what I love even more is that I found them at the dollar store so if I loose them I’m not sad cause I bought 5 pairs for the summer meet.
- Fascinator – This Christine A. Moore Fascinator is just amazing. I love rocking a fascinator more than a hat because my view isn’t obstructed of the horses. Also, when I wear a fascinator I don’t hurt people when I walk by or try to hug them like when I wear big hats.
- Luxury Scent Box – Take your favorite scent on the go with you using Luxury Scent Box, a membership subscription that will mail you new fragrances each month for $15. This month’s scent was Stella by Stella McCartney.
- My Makeup Brush Set – These rose gold brushes keep you looking airbrushed all day long. They are at a fantastic price online and if you use my code, you’ll get an additional 20% off! (Code: 20OFFSUMMER at mymakeupbrushset.com)
- Business Cards – You never know who you are going to connect with. As much as I go the the track for fun, it’s also a place that can hold a number of opportunities. Business cards make it a lot easier too than trying to take out the phone between races and add your contact info.
- Flask – I’m not saying bring a ton of liquor with you to the track, but who really has time to stand in line when there are 40,000 other people trying to grab a beer? Not to mention that beer does not run cheap.
- Daily Racing Form – Here we go. The good stuff. The Daily Racing Form is certainly not the last thing to pack, but more likely the first. I can’t go into a significant race day without doing my homework the night before or the morning of and I reference it throughout the day. Though I do use electronic forms of the past performances, ain’t nothin’ like the real thing.
— Ciaratoga (@Ciaratoga) July 15, 2016
Opening Day Ensemble #CiaratogaStyle
- Fascinator, Christine A. Moore Millinery, camhats.com
- Pearl Earrings, Kuri Yasuno Custom Gemstone Jewelry, etsy.com
- Lace Dress, $17.80, Forever21.com
I went on three shopping excursions to find a great outfit to wear for Opening Day with no success. Then I remembered I had this little number hanging in the closet. The last time I wore it was an overcast day in February, so it was time to show it some So Cal summer sun. The Fascinator really just made the outfit for me, and it complimented the lace in the dress so nicely. I felt super feminine in pearls, which to me brought the beach feel to the ensemble. I encourage you to visit jewelry designer Kuri Yasuno’s Etsy page for her handmade designs. There was no way I was wearing heels at the track Opening Day, so I paired it with a gold pair of sandals.
Next stop, Saratoga.
See you at the races,
/ xo, Ci /