Yes. The day we have been waiting for is here.
- 144th Running of the Travers Stakes at Saratoga Race Course
- Also called the Midsummer Derby
- Grade 1, $1 million purse.
- 3 year old colts/geldings carrying 126lbs and/or fillies carrying 123lbs.
- 1 1/4 miles, dirt.
- Travers Canoes
- Since 1961 the colors of the Travers winner have been painted onto a canoe that sits in a pond that is located in the infield at Saratoga. 2012 was the first time in history that there were two canoes in the pond for “dead heat” winners Alpha and Golden Ticket.
The Line Up & Ciaratoga’s Picks
- Races begin at 11:35 on Travers Day only.
- Prices for Admission to Saratoga Race Course are $5 for grandstand, $10 for clubhouse (refer to nyra.com for additional info)
Where to watch the race:
- ….the racetrack. But if you aren’t there, that’s okay too.
- NBC will have coverage from 4:30-6pm EST.
- Live Streaming off of http://www.nyrarewards.com
- Live Streaming available through http://www.nbcsports.com/liveextra (mobile & tablets)
- Sirius Radio XM: Channel 93 – Horse Racing Radio Network
Where to go post race:
- Siro’s – Lincoln Ave, Saratoga Springs
- The Horseshoe Inn Bar and Grill, Gridley Ave, Saratoga Springs
- Band performing: “Road Soda”
- Prime at Saratoga National, Union Avenue, Saratoga Springs
- “Toast to Travers” 8-11pm, band performing: City Rhythm
- Gaffney’s, Caroline Street, Saratoga Springs
- Band performing: Virgil Cain
Be safe, have fun, win big… giddy up. xo.