The Kentucky Derby is pretty much my first priority in the month May. I’ve been getting many questions about the Derby…what horses are you looking at, where to watch, where to party, what to wear, what traditions are there… so here you have it, a Ciaratoga Guide to the Kentucky Derby:
- 139th running of the Kentucky Derby – May 4, 2013 (always the first Saturday in May)
- Grade 1 stakes race for 3 year old Thoroughbreds. Post time 6:24 p.m.
- Referred to as the “Run for the Roses” — as the winning horse gets a blanket of roses draped on them.
- Held at Churchill Downs
- More specifically, held in Louisville, Kentucky. (Hey…some people don’t get it the race is NOT in Saratoga Springs)
The Line Up
I’ll go into much more detail the day of.. But here they are:
The Day Of Derby
Ciara’s Derby Day Traditions
- Wake up and scream, “yay.”
- Live Stream handicappers online.
- Grab a Daily Racing Form from 5 points Grocery Store.
- Hit up the Racino and place my bets. (or add money to my TVG account)
- Pop Champagne.
- Make sure my outfit reflects horses all day – with a color theme for my favorite horse.
Where to watch:
- The Actual Race:
- Siro’s or The Lodge (Lincoln Ave or Nelson Ave, Saratoga Springs)
- Or on TV (NBCSN)
- Post Race:
- The Annual Derby Party at Prime at Saratoga National (Union Ave, Saratoga Springs)
- Derby Food:
- The Brook Tavern (Union Ave, Saratoga Springs)
What to drink:
- Woodford Reserve Mint Julep (official drink of the Kentucky Derby)
- 2oz Woodford Reserve Bourbon, 1oz Water, 1tsp white sugar, 4 mint leaves.
- Oaks Lily (Ciara’s Rendition)
What to wear:
- By far what really matters the most. I like to ease into the racing season so I like to wear pants to this race. I usually pick the color of my favorite horse in the race, or have some kind of accessory that symbolizes my pick. This year I have two favorites… Goldencents and Orb. So here’s an idea my outfit from day-to-night:
- If you’re a guy: Just go here
|Day Of. low key for betting, but horse inspired.|
|For the Race:
I’m loving these printed pants with flowers. Made me think of Roses. And the hints of red (for Orb) and turquoise are awesome. You also can’t go wrong with some accessories. The fascinator clip is simple and small. The braclets are just hands down the best, and you can find both right downtown at Alex & Ani and Silverwood.
Win big! Good Luck, giddy up.